Friday 13 June 2008

The Sickness that is "Having To Be Right"

I'd be the first to admit that I'm not perfect (blushes modestly as roars of 'Shame, shame' erupt from her adoring peons) - and one of my worst habits is having to be right. All the time, about everything, no matter how petty. Watching "Blade Runner" with Mr Fishwife the other week - Director's Cut, natch - and in some hangover-befuddled state I managed to convince myself that the glam stripper/assassin replicant Zhora ("talk about Beauty and the Beast - she's both!") was played by the similarly cold-eyed ice queen who now plays the mother/grandmother in "Two and a Half Men". Yes, I know, improbable to the point of stupidity, but in my defence I didn't have my glasses on (again). AND the film is more or less 20 years old. I thought I accepted my defeat gracefully but last night, while watching "Heroes" (oh it's all high culture chez Fishwife) I found myself pointing at the television screaming "HER HER THAT'S ZHORA I SWEAR" and was unable to let it drop until a, by now, quite grumpy Mr Fishwife had fired up the laptop and spent 10 minutes trawling Wikipedia for "List Of Heroes Characters". And proved me, exhausted but vindicated, right.

I attach below, as further proof that I can't let it lie, pictures of the two actresses to back me up.

I mean they might not be sisters, but they could at the very least be related.
Shut up any time now? You betcha.

6 comments:

Rol said...

Hmm. I recognise this trait in one very close to me. Mr Fishwife has my deepest sympathies...

Lucy Fishwife said...

There's always one in every relationship. In fact the more mature one of the pair is the one who can say "Yes, dear, you're right again" without gritting their teeth. That person is a saint. In my defence, I'm usually really good at spotting faces on TV, in the manner of "wasn't he the little boy in Third Rock?" - another reason for Mr Fishwife to receive your sympathy...

The Poet Laura-eate said...

As a cast-list nut from an early age, I can pride myself on usually being right about which actor is who and even bore my companion with a quick filmography of each one. Scary, huh?

Lucy Fishwife said...

Oh Laura I am TERRIBLE for that - Mr Fishwife sits there fuming in cinemas as everybody else traipses out and we're left in the semi-dark in a sea of other people's popcorn while I squint suspiciously at the cast list going "I'm SURE he was the guy in Lost"..
I often wonder if the ideal film for me would be one where it's just a sea of faces and a bingo card with names on it...

Steve said...

I'm the guilty one in my relationship... I'll quite happily talk over an essential plot development scene in my eagerness to list a particular actor's entire filmography... he started off in... then he appeared in... and he's also been in... For me it enhances the viewing pleasure. Sadly Karen doesn't share that view.

Anonymous said...

Oooh well for once I can virtuously say that I am not afflicted with this sickness. I suffer many others of course but not this one.

My MIL has it very badly though - and even when incontrovertible (is that right?) proof is placed in front of her that she is wrong, she won't have it, and blames inaccuracies on the web, in the press - oh wherever really. It is hysterically funny.

I have no memory for cast lists at all. I don't even remember if I have seen a film before!